Macbook pro 13" Touch Bar 2018 A1989 the logic board sometimes turn on but sometimes does not

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
Hello,

I still investigate the issue, and perform some different tests to see form where the problem cause.

What I noticed during my tests is voltage on R7691 (P5VG3S_EN) measured on pad 1 is 3.37V and in some seconds become 0.07V, for perform a reset I unplugged the USB type C and plugged again to see if will be the same behavior, in the most of the time it happened the same, but there are some few cases when the voltage remains at 3.37V.

P5VG3S_EN is the signal from U7800, so now I am asking you, could be broken the PMIC IC U7800? or what component can provide that behavior to lose the ENABLE which is provided by the U7800, could be the U7800 itself?

Any idea or hint could be helpful and appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
Have a nice weekend.
P5VG3S_PGOOD need to be returned to u7800 if u7800 doesn't get that signal it will cat off P5VG3S_EN ,it's normal ,what you need to do is to check for the none working of your touch bar .
How do you switch on your motherboard with the keyboard or what .

ioan.onutu

Member (✔)
Ok, thanks for the explanation, for the moment is nothing connected to the motherboard, just the USB type C connector for supply the motherboard, so actually I cannot turn it on in that case, but the 5V and 3V3 should be active even if the macbook is turned on, right?

I tried to turn on the macbook without connecting the touch bar but the problem was still there...

Do you think the problem is in the touch bar circuit area?

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
This is look like my motherboard for the moment, it is connected just to the USB C connector, nothing else.
If the keyboard connector has some oxidation it can make your motherboard turn off , you should found the right pin on the keyboard connector which can power on your motherboard and fan should be in use to see if it will spin .

ioan.onutu

Member (✔)
If the keyboard connector has some oxidation it can make your motherboard turn off , you should found the right pin on the keyboard connector which can power on your motherboard and fan should be in use to see if it will spin .
So I cleaned up the keyboard connector and after that I connect the keyboard to the logic board and what I notice when I connect the USB type C to the motherboard the fan start to spinning but for a little while, and after the fans stops. Yo can see better in the video attached

Attachments

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
So I cleaned up the keyboard connector and after that I connect the keyboard to the logic board and what I notice when I connect the USB type C to the motherboard the fan start to spinning but for a little while, and after the fans stops. Yo can see better in the video attached
Check if DFR_PWR_EN On C5105 PIN 1 Does it come in a short of time or not .

ioan.onutu

Member (✔)
Voltage on C5105 is 1.77V.
For performing that measurement it was necessary to get out the logic board from enclosure, so that measurement was made when the motherboard is connect just to the USB C as in the image attached, because the component C5105 is placed on the other layer.

Attachments

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
C5103: 1.80V
the touch bar seem not good or the connectors it self is not pointed like it should be or some line is been ripped .

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
the touch bar seem not good or the connectors it self is not pointed like it should be or some line is been ripped .
You will need to power on the motherboard without keyboard .
Take out your motherboard from your lap and work on it without keyboard .

ioan.onutu

Member (✔)
You will need to power on the motherboard without keyboard .
Take out your motherboard from your lap and work on it without keyboard .
So your advice it will to connect all the peripherical, without the keyboard, and try to start it, see if will work, right?

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
what is the reason that you think the touch bar is broken?
Try to work with the motherboard and fan nothing else , no keyboard no screen .

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
The fan is included in the keyboard connector, if I will not connect the keyboard to the logic board, the fans will not spin, am I right?
ok work on it without fan and you have to know how to power it without keyboard than check if the voltages dropped or net .

Top Bottom