Questions about repair for Lenovo Y540 - 17IRH.

aendy

Member (✔)
Hello, after having some throttle and freezing I decided to downgrade from the newest BIOS WW41 to WW39 which I had no issues with. The flashing showed up as success. Once I powered up the computer only the keyboard lit up, and the screen stayed black. Not showing LEGION or letting me enter BIOS. I can also hear the fans spin while it's powered on.

I have tried the BIOS Recovery guide for the Y540 at the Lenovo website, but I didn't get any beeps or indicators when pressing fn+R for some time. After some googling I found people had success with bios recovery using a ch341a programmer, so I have ordered one(link).

Now I am currently unsure about what BIOS version I should be flashing and where the BIOS chip actually is. Picture shows something I think looks like the correct chip AH1940.

I read something about the BIOS.bin having to be 16mb, and the ones at lenovo are 17mb. I see this website links to version which also are 16mb, but I am not sure if they would support mine.

I am hoping by showing some pictures I could get some guidance as this is my first time ever trying a repair like this.

IMG_1087.JPEGIMG_1088.JPEG

Regards Aendy.

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
Hello, after having some throttle and freezing I decided to downgrade from the newest BIOS WW41 to WW39 which I had no issues with. The flashing showed up as success. Once I powered up the computer only the keyboard lit up, and the screen stayed black. Not showing LEGION or letting me enter BIOS. I can also hear the fans spin while it's powered on.

I have tried the BIOS Recovery guide for the Y540 at the Lenovo website, but I didn't get any beeps or indicators when pressing fn+R for some time. After some googling I found people had success with bios recovery using a ch341a programmer, so I have ordered one(link).

Now I am currently unsure about what BIOS version I should be flashing and where the BIOS chip actually is. Picture shows something I think looks like the correct chip AH1940.

I read something about the BIOS.bin having to be 16mb, and the ones at lenovo are 17mb. I see this website links to version which also are 16mb, but I am not sure if they would support mine.

I am hoping by showing some pictures I could get some guidance as this is my first time ever trying a repair like this.

View attachment 33156View attachment 33157

Regards Aendy.
Put the part number of your motherboard NM-XXXX .
And I need a picture for the stiker that show model of your laptop with serial number .

aendy

Member (✔)
Thank you for answering. I have been looking for the NM-XXXX and I might have to remove something else to find this number. Currently I can only find as shown in first picture: FY710/FY714 NS-C534 Rev 2.0 2019-03-11, do I have to remove something to find the mb partnumber?IMG_1094.jpeg IMG_1093.jpeg.

Admin

desktops & Laptops
Support
Top Bottom